January 28, 2006

Clarification.

A few days ago I wrote about Google's decision to censor some of its search results in China in accordance with the government's policy there. I realize now that my views, in failing to present a comprehensive picture, smacked of hypocrisy. This exchange of thoughts with Chetan helped me in this realization.

This is where I now stand on this issue: As a principle, I do not support what Google did. This is what I conveyed in the last post and I stand by it. What I want to clarify now is that everyone is involved in this matter and it is hypocritical to pinpoint someone for blame. This involvement is possible in million different ways, for instance buying anything made in China. Whether one considers doing business with Chinese authorities evil or not, all of us are in it together. That is a consequence of the globalized economy of today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]