December 22, 2006

A Great Website.

I stumbled upon this absolutely amazing website today: WorldCat Libraries. It searches for any book you specify and returns a list of the closest libraries (you specify a zip code) that have the book. What is more, when you click on a library it takes you directly to the status page of the book in that particular library.

For instance, let us take the book Palestine: Peace Not Apartheid by Jimmy Carter. I randomly picked the zip code 58260 (happens to be Amidon, North Dakota) . The closest library to Amidon which has this book is Dickinson Public Library which is 38 miles away. There is one copy of the book in this library.

Needless to say this is extremely convenient. Of course I, being a student in a university, use the catalog of the university libraries. But I realize now that many of the books I want are also in the city public library. So I can use that facility. It's also great because it searches very fast.

This is my first look. Quite possibly there are many other cool features.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]